Friday, June 8, 2012

We the Animals - Justin Torres

A first novel of an Iowa Writer's Workshop graduate is a slim book that tells the story of 3 brothers growing up.  Their parents, a Puerto Rican father and white mother married at 16 and 14 are alternately madly in love and mad, mentally and physically.  The plural first person drew me into the boys'  point of view and their desperate young lives.  I liked the writing style.  The author says the story is semi auto-biographical and the ending is a bit of a shock.

I picked this up in the library.  My branch has a "new releases" shelf that I review when I go to pick up the books I've put on hold and since there were 3 copies I thought it might be interesting.  I'd love to do the Iowa Writer''s Workshop, I'll have to find out what their criteria are.

Published: 2011   Read: June 2012   Genre: fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think