Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes

My sister recommended this as her favorite from 2012 and it is a winner in my opinion.

A man looks back on this life and tells the story of his first love and its consequences as he remembers it.  All the while, he is wondering what is memory?  What is reality?  The story examines the uncertainty of what we think is true.

Quotes:

" But I was wrong about most things, then, as now."

[on personality] "...God knows you can have complication and difficulty without any compensating depth or seriousness."

"History isn't the lies of the victors...it's more the memories of the survivors  most of whom are neither victorious nor defeated."

"It strikes me that this may be one of the differences between youth and age: when we are young, we invent different futures for ourselves; when we are old, we invent difference pasts for others."

"I had wanted life not to bother me too much, and had succeeded--and how pitiful that was."

I finished the book in one sitting and went back and read parts of it again immediately.  The story makes me ask myself - what do I think I know?  What do I think I remember?  How different would my life be is I knew a different truth?

I like books that make me think.  This one will be on my mind for a while.  Thanks, sis.

Published: 2011  Read: January 2013   Genre: Fiction
Winner 2011 Man Booker Prize

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think