Sunday, April 7, 2013

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

I read "Handmaid's Tale" many years ago and since then have been tempted to read more by Margaret Atwood.  I tried "The Blind Assassin" and didn't like it.  But did I learn? No.
I heard a the Arizona Origins presentation that she was considered a science fiction writer so I thought, I'll try again.

This book teases throughout as to what has happened to civilization such that the main character is the only normal human left.  The "reveal" is a bust and not worth slogging through in my opinion.  The author extends the effect of many of today's technologies to predict a doom and gloom future that gets us back to where we started.

Maybe it would have had a bigger impact if I'd read it when it came out in 2003.  Or maybe, I just don't like her endless detail about nothing.  On to something better I hope.

Published: 2003   Read: April 2013  Genre: Fiction (with a futuristic spin)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think