Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Annie John - Jamaica Kincaid

I don't remember where I heard of this book but it was on my TBR list and I picked it up at a local used bookstore.  A young girl grows up from someone very attached to her mother and her whole world being her home to leaving for college in another country.  She slowly develops her independence, finding her own views on life and other people.  The story takes place in Antigua where Annie is a native made to conform to  British customs.  The writing could almost be considered for young adults, told in the child's voice, its simplistic.  It did not leave much of an impression.  I found from reading reviews it was assigned reading in school for many young people.

Published: 1983  Read: May 2013  Genre: Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think