Friday, October 3, 2014

The Invention of Wings - Sue Monk Kid

My reading group recommended this book and I'd read the author's previous book, The Secret Life of Bees.  The story is based on the life of two feminist abolisionists in the early 1800's.  They were sisters who adovcated to free slaves and provide equal rights for them as well as women.  The author took the facts of these sisters lives and juxtaposed it with that of an imaginged slave girl who was given to one of the sisters for her 11th birthday.

I am not a fan of a story that flips back and forth between characters every other chapter - I think it's a lazy gimmick.  I'm always tempted to just read every other chapter.  The first half of the book also annoyed me because I get upset at characters that either put up with a bad situation beyond reason or rebel in self-destructive ways.   I guess I'm not a fan of hopeless situations.  I think I would have much preferred a story of the two sisters with more facts.


Published: 2014  Read: September 2014  Genre: Historical fiction

ISBN:978-0-670-02478

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think