Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh


This was a painful story of a young woman, Victoria Jones, who grew up in foster homes and as an adult cannot love except for the flowers she cares for.  I thought the character was very real and it gave me a perspective on foster children that I had never thought about.  At times it was painful to read how she rejected those who tried to love her and were concerned for her.  I think there is a little of her in all of us who protect ourselves from being loved because of our past experiences.

The story is told in two parts, flashing back to Victoria's childhood and the present where she works in a flower shop.  The back and forth was annoying and didn't blend well and could have easily been two separate books.  It seems to be a popular writing style recently that I dislike.

I enjoyed learning the meaning of different flowers and the dictionary in the end made a nice package of the book for someone buying it.

In the end, I was touched by this character and ached for her.

Published: 2012  Read: January 2015  Genre: Fiction

  • ISBN: 978-0345525550

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think