Friday, November 24, 2017

My Beloved World - Sonia Sotomayor

This was the perfect follow-up to Sisters-In-Law that I read earlier this year.  It's the story of the third woman and first Hispanic to be appointed to the Supreme Court.  Her life was one of early hardship guided by the drive of her mother to get a good education for her children.  She is modest about her exceptional intelligence and measured in sharing her beliefs.  I came away with a deep respect and admiration for her achievements.

Some quotes:

"Not every experiment is a success.  that's the nature of doing science" She quotes her science teacher then she goes on to add: "The nature of doing many things, I might add: success is its own reward, but failure is a great teacher too, and not to be feared."

"In my experience when a friend unloaded about a boyfriend or spouse, the listener soaked up the complaint and rememberd it long afer the speaker had forgiven the offense." 
"Dressing badly has been a refuge much of my life, a way of complelling others to engage with my mind, not my physical presence.  I'm competitive enough that I'll eventually withdraw from any consistently losing battle".

Published: 2013  Read: November 2017  Genre: Autobiography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think