Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Light Between Oceans - M L Stedman

I read this for my reading group at my church, what a wonderful story!  The writing is superb and there are observations on human nature that are lessons for life.

It is a story of Isabel who marries a lighthouse keeper, a man scarred emotionally from WWI.  She has two miscarriages and a stillbirth and when a boat washes up with a dead man and a baby inside, she convinces her husband to raise the baby as their own, laying the seeds for heartbreak.

Some of the quotes I noted:

--Doing what's right, regardless of the cost.
-- Being honest doesn't mean you get to chose your punishment.
-- Bravery is standing by the consequences of your mistakes.
-- [on forgiving and forgetting]...It's so much less exhausting [to forgive].  You only have to forgive once.  To resent, ou have to do it all day, every day.  We always have a choice.  All of us.
-- I've learned the ahrd way that to have any kind of a future you've got to give up hope of ever changing your past.
--Scars are just another kind of memory.

Our group of 22 had a spirited discussion, I think everyone liked the book and I would recommend it.  The best I've read this year so far.

Published:  2012  Read: February 2014  Genre: Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think