Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire

Has everyone else read this?  I found it at my trusty used bookstore, Half Price Books at PV Mall and picked it up in trade for some books I was purging.

It's the story of the "ugly step sisters" of Cinderella.  It was a very clever way of telling how they came to be sisters and a history lesson on the Tulip Mania in the Netherlands in 1637.  I really enjoyed how the story took its time to reveal the situation of the characters and introduce their relationships.  We also learn a bit about the art world of the time as Iris, the "plain" sister, develops an eye for painting as an apprentice of a master painter.

I didn't  mark passages as I read so I haven't any interesting quotes.  I've been reading just for the pleasure of consuming a book lately.  My next one might have some bits to share.

Published:  2002  Read July 2014  Genre: Historical fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think