Sunday, October 26, 2014

Women of the Silk - Gail Tsukiyama

I read this for my book group that I didn't get to attend while I was travelling.  It's the story of young girls in China before WWII who were given to the silk factories as workers.  Their wages were sent home to their families but they would usually not return home for the rest of their lives.  They could marry but many chose to remain single and formed a sisterhood that could live independently at a time when women were little more than property.

I found the story tedious and the ending rushed through the last days before the Japanese invaded China, almost as an afterthought, it seemed.  The women's relationships were well portrayed and their friendships deep and supportive.  Not something I'd recommend.

Published:  1991   Read: October 2014   Genre: Historical fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think