I started this book on our second trip to Alaska, being an admirer of the author and wanting information on the state. It details three of his trips to the Wrangell area beginning in 1879. He uses the flowery language of the 19th century to describe the beauty of the glaciers he studies. His stamina and determination is remarkable. He speaks of hiking 17 miles a day to 7 and 10,000 feet elevations, sleeping outdoors on frozen rock, eating only bread and tea. He was enthralled by nature seeing it as evidence of the divine master plan. It made me wonder how much things have changed as they inevitably will.
Some notes about Alaska I took about the time I was reading this book:
- Feta Morgana an arctic mirage affect
- Revelations Mountain range west of Anchorage
- There's a polar ice pack albedo effect which means the reflecting power of a surface
Published: 1915. Read: May 2018. Genre: adventure nature non-fiction
No comments:
Post a Comment
Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think