Monday, January 18, 2021

Ambulance Girl - Jane Stern

I'd listened to Jane and Michael Stern's food radio program, the Splendid Table, on NPR for many years.  I must have added her memoir to my TBR list at some point and was surprised to find that she had volunteered as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and wrote about it.  My image of her as a foodie clashed with her experiences as an EMT and opened my eyes to a extremely challenging job and the reasons someone might chose to do it.  I could see the growth in confidence and self-respect that Jane gained during her time as an EMT. 

Quotes:

p. 31 "EMT is the most stressful job of all...a list of the warning signs of stress, which included anxiety, guilt, indecisiveness, isolation, fear of separation and being ignored" [was shared during training as a warning].

p 129 "Fear is a hologram.  It seems filled with substance and when you go beyond it you realize it was just an illusion."

Published: 2003  Read: January 2021  Genre: Memoir 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think