Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Tropical Nature - Adrian Forsyth and Ken Miyata

 Subtitle- Life and Death in the rain forests of Central and South America 


I've been working on a DNA case that is related to the author of this book so I read it to see if I could get any clues. What an odd twist to research!

On page 31 I found a reference to a Marston Bates author of The Forest and the Sea.  

On page 73 there was a reference to Calaway Dodson, an orchid biologist who was the director of the Marie Selby botanical garden, a place I've visited a couple of times.

On page 132 there was reference to Henry Bates a British naturalist of the 1800s.

Finally, chapter 12 discussed the Mount Auburn Cemetery as a birder's mecca,  a factoid I found unusual. 

The book itself was a engaging introduction to the forest but did'nt convince me to put it on my traveling list.

Published: 1984   Read: February 2021:    Genre: Science 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think