Sunday, December 29, 2024

James - Percival Everett

 I have been seeing recommendations of this book for the last few months and purchased it in Victoria BC Canada at Munro's Bookstore while on vacation for the holidays as a Christmas gift to myself.  It did not disappoint.

This is the story of Jim, actually James, the pal of Huckleberry Finn, told from his perspective.  We meet James waiting for cornbread from Miss Watson at her back door while Huck and his friend Tom are trying to pull tricks on him. We're invited into his world, where slaves are not ignorant, caricatures but instead human beings attempting to survive a horrific reality.  

I'd asked the clerk if I needed to re-read Huckleberry Finn again before diving into this but she said it was not necessary and she was right, though I think it would have made it even more pointed in the contrast.

This story repeats a theme of several books I've read this year - that of providing a completely different perspective on the life I'm living and have lived to those around me that I've worked with and known.  Each person's existence is unique and we cannot assume similar experiences result in the same feelings and impact on their lives.  

Highly recommended and a good finish to 2024.

Published: 2024  Read: December 2024 Genre: Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think