Sub-title: Stripping the Dread from the Data
With the vast amount of bu**sh**t tossed around on social media, television and advertisements it is difficult to step back and critically analyze the information out in the world. Back in the day I took courses in statistics at least 3 times and applied some of my learnings during my working years. This book helped me re-visit the core tools, how they are supposed to be used and how to interpret their results. I found it a great refresher and a calming, reasoned voice in the age of flashy, attention-getting headlines with numbers.
Quotes I noted:
"Probability can be used to catch [test] cheaters. ...flag exams in which there are a number of identical wrong answers ...as this is highly unlikely unless they are cheating."
"The one social factor researchers agree is linked to longer lives in every country where it has been studied is education."
published: 2013 Read: November 2025 Genre: Non-fiction
No comments:
Post a Comment
Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think