Sunday, May 5, 2013

Proof of Heaven - Eben Alexander, MD

subtitle: A neurosurgeon's journey into the afterlife.

I read this for one of my reading groups.  It's the story of a doctor who gets ill and almost dies and experiences the afterlife.  This author has credentials in spades as he is a highly educated and experienced neurosurgeon.  In the end this gets a little weird and the terminology just sounds hokey, but to his credit he admits this.  Reading it makes me wonder what the stories are in other (non-Christian) cultures for near-death experiences.  I'm curious why he quit Harvard and moved to Virginia.

Quotes:
p. 117 - Physical life is characterized by defensiveness, whereas spiritual life is just the opposite.

p. 153 - Irreducible Mind: Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century, 2007.

p. 162  must be willing to give up what I am in order to become what I will be.  Albert Einstein

p. 170 Not only was my journey about love but it was also about who we are and how connected we all are - the very meaning of all existence.  You are loved.

www.Eternea.org resource is his website.

p. 181 reading list - Ring, Kenneth and Sharon Cooper.  Mindsight: Near-Death and Out-of-Body Experiences in the Blind.  1999.  I'd be interested in reading this as my father is blind.

Published: 2012  Read: April 2013  Genre: Memoir





No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think