Thursday, May 30, 2013

Attracting Butterflies and Hummingbirds to Your Backyard - Sally Roth

In April I spent a week at one of my favorite getaways - John C Campbell Folk School.  I took a class on pollinators because I wanted to get outside each day.  This book was one of the ones recommended for the class.  Some take aways from the book:

Hummingbird feeder recipe - 1 part plain sugar (or superfine sugar) to 4 parts water.  Boil water first (duh, I was heating sugar up in cold water) and store any leftover in the refrigerator.

Saucers of stone water for butterflies - Use a clay plant saucer filled with river stones and gravel and cover just below top of stones with water.

Butterfly bait Mash 3-4 overripe banana in a bowl, then put in a bucket with 1 bottle of molasses or corn syrup and 1 pound of brown sugar.  Pour one bottle of beer over mixture.  Put in shade to ferment for a day or two then "paint" on a tree trunk or fence post near eye level or paint a trail around the year; re-paint when it dries up or stops attracting butterflies.

Does that sound just awful?  I have to try it, I'm thinking it will attract something other than butterflies!

Published: 2001  Read: April 2013  Genre: Non-fiction Gardening

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here, would love to hear what you think